I consider myself a holistic counselor. This means that I take the whole person in their entirety, not simply symptoms, into consideration in our work together.
I draw from the relevant neuroscientific research that is emerging within the field of psychology that provides a deeper understanding of behaviors and experiences.
As a Somatic (body oriented) counselor I consider the importance of your felt experiences and how they impact you. I engage the power of mindfulness, or the practice of self-awareness, which builds bridges in different parts of the brain, and allows for new possibilities in emotional patterns and access to new choices.
I don’t have a one-size fits all approach to what I do. I offer support and acceptance for what each person brings to counseling and what their needs are. I consider humans not to be pieces and parts but an interconnected whole. I have a variety of tools and strategies to assist in understanding what is happening and then taking action.
Background & Education
I earned my Bachelor of Science Degree from Northern Arizona University where I studied psychology. Combining a love and healing powers of the wilderness for therapy was a dream since my late teens. Upon graduating I fulfilled that dream and I became an Outward Bound wilderness instructor. I spent three years doing wilderness therapy with adjudicated youth and their families.
I attended The Heartwood Institute and studied massage and holistic health. I have been a bodyworker for many years and have extensive training in Craniosacral therapy and the functioning of the nervous system. Many years of working with people and their bodies inspired me to gain further training in how to support people in their healing process.
I earned my Masters in Clinical Mental Health from Prescott College in 2015. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor in Oregon. While in Graduate School I focused my studies on Somatic Therapies. My Masters degree thesis was on Trauma and PTSD, an area of great interest. I have completed certification courses in both EMDR and Sensorimotor Psychotherapy.
- 1996 Bachelors of Science-Northern Arizona University
- 1998-2000-Massage Therapy Certification
- 1998-present-3000 hours of continuing education in massage and bodywork
- 2003-Biodynamic Craniosacral Certification
- 2008 Mindfulness and Meditation Training
- 2012-Shame and Self Loathing in the Treatment of Trauma
- 2013-Trauma Informed Services Training Courses Portland State University
Trauma Informed Services Across the Lifespan
Understanding Trauma and the Crisis Response
Promoting Positive Sexual Development Following Abuse
Secondary Trauma Secondary Healing
- 2014-EMDR Certificate Training
- 2015-Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Training
- 2015-DBT workshop
- 2015-Non-Violent Communication Training
- 2015-Masters in Clinical Mental Health with a Somatic Focus-Prescott College
- 2016-Externship in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- 2016-Internal Family Systems workshop